County Government Student Intern Program/Exploratory Enrichment (COSER 402)
The County Government student intern program is a hands-on learning experience for high school seniors that exposes them to the processes of county government and takes place at the county office buildings. Student meet one day/week with our County Government teacher, who facilitates their learning through department presentations, discussions and debates on current events. Cattaraugus county schools participate from September-December; Allegany county schools participate from January-June.
Also included in this COSER are opportunities for districts to coordinate exploratory enrichment programs according to the COSER guidelines. The event or experience must be a program that exceeds or is different from content offerings found in standard courses, and align to NYSED Learning Standards. For example, anti-bullying and character education presentations and programs; the Challenger Learning Center programs; Young Entrepreneurs Association program; and educational tours to various destinations. Participation in COSER 403 is required if not participating in the County Government Program.
- The event/experience should align to the NYSED Learning Standards; submit lesson plan showing alignment.
- Activities may not be scheduled on weekends.
- Food, lodging and transportation costs are not eligible for BOCES aid.
- Admission tickets are not eligible for BOCES aid.
- The event/activity must be a share between at least two districts to be eligible for aid.
- Activities may not generate school or college credit.
- Costs of using specialized facilities are eligible for aid.
- Events hosted within districts must be approved by the CA BOCES Board of Education, prior to the event.