Olean, NY – November 30, 2020 – Twenty-one teams from area school districts recently met, virtually, to participate in the Virtual Scholastic Challenge. The Scholastic Challenge is an annual event that is hosted by Cattaraugus-Allegany BOCES. The regional competition that tests students’ knowledge of academic trivia and current events, is typically held as a face-to-face tournament. For the second year, in response to COVID-19 regulations throughout the region, the competition was held virtually.
34 matches took place over the course of the day, with nearly 2,600 questions read aloud. Teams, made up of 3-4 students each, mastered using an online buzzer system that created fast paced and exciting matches.
The CA BOCES Instructional Support Services Student Programs team thanks the following Scholastic Challenge coaches:
• Belfast Central School: Aran Heaney
• Cuba-Rushford Central School: Tom Kenyon
• Ellicottville Central School: Ann Chamberlain and Chris Edwards
• Fillmore Central School: Bill Kelley
• Franklinville Central School: Shannon Fitzpatrick-Wood
• Hinsdale Central School: Sara Centanni
• Scio Central School: Tammy Straight
• Wellsville Central School: Diane Willard and Hope Gilfert
• Whitesville Central School: Alex Lipnicki
Congratulations to the four teams that scored the highest total points after three matches and made it to the Finals:
The Junior (grades 6-9) Finals: Ellicottville Central School (1st place) and Whitesville Central School (2nd place)
The Senior (grades 9-12) Finals: Ellicottville Centra School (1st place) and Fillmore Central School (2nd place)